Daily Update: Friday, July 10th, 2015

07-10 - Lady Jane Grey

We have no Saints to honor today, but on this date in 1553, Lady Jane Grey (briefly) took the throne of England, and on this date in 1954 my parents were married, leaving them free to go forth and multiply.

While the Third Succession Act of 1543 had returned Henry VIII’s daughters Mary and Elizabeth to the succession, when Henry’s successor, Edward VI, died on July 6, 1553, his deathbed will named the (Protestant) heirs of his aunt, Mary Tudor, as his successors, contravening the Third Succession Act. Four days later, John Dudley, 1st Duke of Northumberland (the most powerful man in England, besides being Lady Jane Grey’s father in law since her marriage to his son, Lord Guilford Dudley, on May 21st, 1553) had her proclaimed Queen of England after she had taken up secure residence in the Tower of London, where English monarchs customarily resided from the time of accession until coronation. She was well educated, and was reputed to be one of the most learned women of her day. Jane refused to name her husband Dudley as king by letters patent and deferred to Parliament, offering to make him Duke of Clarence instead. As soon as her cousin Mary, the oldest daughter of Henry VIII and the proper heir according to the Third Succession Act, was sure of King Edward’s demise, she left her residence at Hunsdon and set out to East Anglia, where she began to rally her supporters. Northumberland set out from London with troops on July 14; in his absence the Privy Council switched their allegiance from Jane to Mary, and proclaimed her queen in London on July 19 among great jubilation of the populace. Jane and her husband were imprisoned in the Gentleman Gaoler’s apartments at the Tower of London. The new Queen entered London in a triumphal procession on August 3rd, 1553, and the Duke of Northumberland was executed on August 22nd, 1553. In September, Parliament declared Mary the rightful queen and denounced and revoked Jane’s proclamation as that of a usurper. Jane and Lord Guilford Dudley were both charged with high treason, together with two of Dudley’s brothers. Their trial took place on November 13th, 1553, and the two principal defendants were found guilty and sentenced to death. On the morning of February 12th, 1554, the authorities took Guilford from his rooms at the Tower of London to the public execution place at Tower Hill and there had him beheaded. A horse and cart brought his remains back to the Tower of London, past the rooms where Jane remained as a prisoner; she saw his body as the cart went past her window. Jane was then taken out to Tower Green, inside the Tower of London, and beheaded in private. Lady Jane Grey had been Queen of England for nine days; at the time of their death, she was 16 or 17, and her husband, to whom she had been married for only eight months, was not quite 20. Today is also the anniversary of my parent’s marriage in 1954. As Mom was Catholic and Dad was not (he did not become Catholic until the early 1970s), it was considered a “mixed marriage”. Mom was seriously miffed that she and Dad could not get married in the church building, especially since they changed the rules immediately after their marriage so that the very next mixed couple did get married in the church building. Dad did agree to have us kids raised Catholic, and so we are (at least Liz Ellen and I are; we haven’t heard from Mike in so long, he could be anything by now). If my parents were both living still, today would have been their 61st Wedding Anniversary.

Last night I started reading 1493: Uncovering the New World Columbus Created by Charles C. Mann.

I did my Bathroom Devotional Reading, and put KT Tape© on my foot. On our way to work I did my Internet Devotional Reading and said the Fourth Day of my Novena to Our Lady of Mount Carmel Novena. I then borrowed The Giver by Lois Lowry (my next Third Tuesday Book Club book) on Overdrive from the Lafayette Public Library, and
requested Struck by Lightning: The Curious World of Probabilities by Jeffrey Rosenthal, and Capital Punishment and Roman Catholic Moral Tradition, Second Edition by E. Christian Bruder. After we clocked in we signed the Early Out list, but did not get out early. Richard was on a Blackjack table all day. I was first the Relief Dealer for Mini Baccarat, Pai Gow, and Three Card Blackjack, then the Relief Dealer for Mini Baccarat, Pai Gow, and Four Card Poker, then the Relief Dealer for Mini Baccarat and Pai Gow. On my breaks I talked to our Shift Manager about getting August 3rd and 4th off, and he told me to talk to the Scheduler. I did so, and she said it “looked positive”. I also got a call from the Clinic, which went to voicemail; it was the Nurse following up on my last visit.

On our way home I continued reading The Handsome Man’s De Luxe Café by Alexander McCall Smith, and Richard got me lunch from the McDonald’s drive through in Kinder. Once home I read the morning paper, then finished reading The Handsome Man’s De Luxe Café by Alexander McCall Smith. I then took a nap for the rest of the day, and did not do my Daily Update.

Tomorrow is the Memorial of Saint Benedict, Abbot (died 547). On my breaks at work I will do my Book Review for this Weblog for The Handsome Man’s De Luxe Café by Alexander McCall Smith via WordPress for Android, post my Book Review to Goodreads and Facebook, do my Daily Update for yesterday, Friday, July 10th, 215 via WordPress for Android, and talk again to our Shift Manager about getting August 3rd and 4th off. I can then start reading Lock In by John Scalzi. In the afternoon I will go to the Adoration Chapel and do my Weekly Hour of Eucharistic Adoration.

Our Parting Quote on this Friday afternoon comes to us from Hiroaki Aoki, Japanese-born Olympic wrestler and restaurateur, Born in 1938 in Tokyo, Japan, while in school he and some friends started a rock and roll band called Rowdy Sounds, though Aoki eventually abandoned music for athletics. Aoki attended Keio University, where he competed in track and field, karate and wrestling before being expelled for fighting. He qualified for the 1960 Summer Olympics in Rome, but did not compete. However, he later toured the United States and was undefeated in the wrestling 112-pound flyweight class. Aoki was offered wrestling scholarships from several different American colleges. He attended Springfield College in Springfield, Massachusetts and later transferred to CW Post College on Long Island. He moved to New York City, going on to win the United States flyweight title in 1962, 1963 and 1964. In New York Aoki adopted the American first name of “Rocky” and worked seven days a week in an ice cream truck that he rented in Harlem while studying restaurant management at New York City Community College. After he received his Associates degree in management in 1963, he used the $10,000 he had saved from the ice cream business to convince his father to co-invest in the first Benihana, a four-table teppanyaki restaurant on West 56th Street. The restaurant’s name, ”Benihana”, taken from the Japanese name for safflower, was suggested by Aoki’s father; according to family legend, Aoki’s father was walking through the bombed-out ruins of post-war Tokyo when he happened across a single red safflower growing in the rubble. Within a year Aoki opened a bigger restaurant that featured Samurai armour, heavy wooden ceiling beams and sliding Shoji screens to provide some privacy. In 1968 he opened its first restaurant outside of New York City, in Chicago. By 1979 Benihana was a multi-million-dollar company with locations across the world, and Aoki was on his way to the cover of Newsweek, the poster boy for immigrant success. He was also addicted to thrill sports, and had a near fatal powerboat crash in 1979 under the Golden Gate Bridge, contracting Hepatitis C from the blood transfusions he received after the accident. He also had six children from three wives; he had thought he had only five children until he was sued for paternity. He was inducted into the National Wrestling Hall of Fame in 1995. In 2005 Aoki sued four of his children for an alleged attempt to take control of the companies he founded, which, at the time, had an estimated value between $60-100 million. Before his death, he had become a United States citizen (died 2008): “You only win if you aren’t afraid to lose.”

Posted from WordPress for Android

Categories: Daily Updates | Leave a comment

Post navigation

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

A WordPress.com Website.

%d bloggers like this: