Daily Update: Monday, July 27th, 2015

07-27 - Korean War Memorial in the Snow

With no Saints to honor today, we turn to the events of this day in 1995, when the Korean War Veterans Memorial was dedicated in Washington, D.C., on the 42nd anniversary of the of the armistice that ended the war.

The Korean War Veterans Memorial was authorized by the U.S. Congress (Public Law 99-572) on October 28, 1986, with design and construction managed by the Korean War Veterans Memorial Advisory Board and the American Battle Monuments Commission. My late father (died 1998) was with the 5th Marines at the Battle of Chosin Reservoir, in November through December 1950; he always said that his favorite battle movie was Zulu (1964), because the Zulu warriors constantly attacking Rorke’s Drift were just like the Chinese coming down out of the hills at the Marines covering the retreat from the Reservoir. He was also very proud of having been one of the Chosin Few. In the summer of 2002 I took a trip on my own to Washington, D.C., and made a point of going to the Memorial. It was a brutally hot day, but as I neared the Memorial I felt a spooky cool breeze on the back of my neck. My instant response was to say, “Ok, Dad, I know you’re there, now quit scaring me!” I have no doubt at all in my mind that Dad was there, approving of my visiting the Memorial.

Last night Richard gathered up our trash, and I did not fix my lunch salads for Monday and Tuesday.

I did my Bathroom Devotional Reading, and Richard wheeled our trash bin to the curb before we left for work. On our way to work I did my Internet Devotional Reading. Once we clocked in Richard was on Three Card Poker all day; the Progressive Jackpot for a guest who has A-K-Q of Spades in his or her hand, and is playing the one dollar optional bet (in addition to their regular bets) is up to $14,700 (when it’s won, it resets at $1,000, and starts going up again, at the rate of fourteen cents for every optional one-dollar bet). I was the Relief Dealer for Mini Baccarat and Pai Gow; on my first rotation I also broke Let It Ride, and on my last two rotations I broke the second Mississippi Stud game. The only exciting thing to happen on my breaks was that I got another Heat Advisory for our area. (Right now, at 5:30 pm, it is 94°, and with the 54% humidity it still feels like 104°. My friend CJ in Nevada, who I went to high school with in SouthEastLouisiana, will tell me, “It gets up to 104°, but there’s no humidity, so it doesn’t feel that hot.” I say that 104° is still 104°, and I will stay in the land of high humidity and LSU.)

When we left to go home I completely forgot about going to the Pharmacy to get my prescriptions. Richard got gas for the truck, and once home I read the morning paper while he mowed the grass (taking several breaks and keeping well hydrated). I then took a nap until 4:15 pm, and came out and watched Jeopardy!. Richard then went to the Crispy Cajun to get a burger and fries for me, and I did an Advance Daily Update Draft for this weblog (through Wednesday of next week). I am now doing today’s Daily Update and eating my burger and fries, and when I finish with both of those activities I will get ready for bed.

Tomorrow we have no Saints to honor; but it is Acadian Remembrance Day (by proclamation by no less an authority of the Queen of England). It is our Friday at work, but we will work our full eight hours, as I want to wait until Sunday to sign the Early Out list. After work I will pick up my prescriptions at the Pharmacy, and when we come through town on our way home I will stop and see if I can get my hair cut. When I wake up from my afternoon Nap I will do my laundry and do Advance Daily Update Drafts through Saturday of next week.

Our Parting Quote on this Monday afternoon comes to us from Lindy Boggs, American politician and diplomat. Born as Marie Corinne Morrison Claiborne in 1916 on the Brunswick Plantation in New Roads, Louisiana, she attended Newcomb College at Tulane University in New Orleans. She was a second cousin of deLesseps Story “Chep” Morrison, Sr., the former mayor of New Orleans, Ambassador to the Organization of American States, and three-time candidate for governor of Louisiana. In 1938 she married Hale Boggs, and the couple had four children: Cokie Roberts (a television journalist), Thomas Hale Boggs, Jr., (a prominent lobbyist), the late Barbara Boggs Sigmund (mayor of Princeton, New Jersey, and an unsuccessful candidate in the 1982 New Jersey Democratic senatorial primary election), and a son who died in infancy. Hale Boggs, who at one point was a law partner with deLesseps Story “Chep” Morrison, Sr., was elected Member of the U.S. House of Representatives from Louisiana’s 2nd district (based in New Orleans) in 1941 (at the time, he was the youngest member of Congress) and served until 1943. After the Second World War (during which he was in the United States Navy) he was re-elected to his Congressional seat in 1946. In 1962 he became the House Majority Whip, and in 1971 he became the House Majority Leader. On October 16, 1972, accompanied by Representative Nick Begich of Alaska, Begich’s aide, and a pilot, his twin-engine Cessna plane disappeared over Alaska. The plane was never found; the accident prompted Congress to pass a law mandating Emergency Locator Transmitters in all U.S. civil aircraft. Boggs was re-elected to his Congressional seat in November 1972, but the first bill that the House passed in 1973, House Resolution 1, officially recognized Hale Boggs’ death and created the need for a special election. Lindy Boggs ran successfully as a Democrat in the special election for her husband’s vacated seat in Louisiana’s 2nd congressional district. She was elected to a full term in 1974 with 82 percent of the vote and was reelected seven times thereafter. In 1980 she faced her closest challenge from the Republican Rob Couhig, an attorney-businessman who raised some $200,000 for the race. Boggs still prevailed with 45,091 votes (63.8 percent) to Couhig’s 25,512 (36.2 percent). Otherwise, Boggs polled more than 80 percent in her contested races. In her four final campaigns she ran without opposition even though the district had been redrawn with an African American majority following the 1980 United States Census. She vacated her office in January 1991 and in 1994 was inducted into the Louisiana Political Museum and Hall of Fame in Winnfield, one year after her husband had been among the original thirteen inductees. In 1997 President Bill Clinton appointed her official U.S. ambassador to the Holy See, a position she held until 2001. In 2005 her home on Bourbon Street in New Orleans’ French Quarter sustained moderate wind damage from Hurricane Katrina. In 2006 she was awarded the Congressional Distinguished Service Award for her time in the House of Representatives. Upon her death Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal ordered all United States and state flags in Louisiana to fly at half staff until August 2 in her memory (died 2013): ”So many people are walking around looking so grim all the time. I just never understand why.”

Categories: Daily Updates | Leave a comment

Post navigation

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

A WordPress.com Website.

%d bloggers like this: