Daily Update: Saturday, May 14th, 2016


Today is the Feast of Saint Matthias, Apostle (died 80), and the last weekday of the Easter Season. Richard’s brother Butch in Baton Rouge has his birthday today (1941), as does Logan, one of the Assembled (1984).

According to the Acts of the Apostles Matthias was chosen by lot to become an Apostle to replace Judas Iscariot (who had betrayed Jesus to the authorities, and who had then committed suicide). He was on the short list (along with Joseph called Barsabbas, also known as Justus) because he had been with the other Apostles from the time of the Baptism of Jesus by John the Baptist to the Ascension of Jesus after his Resurrection. He is never mentioned again after his selection as an Apostle. Legend holds that he preached the Gospel for more than 30 years in Judea, Cappadocia, Egypt and Ethiopia, and that he was especially remembered for preaching the need for mortification of the flesh with regard to all its sensual and irregular desires. Legend also states that he was martyred by stoning. He is the Patron Saint of tailors, carpenters, the virtues of hope and perseverance, and his aid is invoked against alcoholism and smallpox. And this being the day before Pentecost (Alleluia!), today is the last weekday of the Easter Season; on Monday we begin with the Weekdays of the Seventh Week in Ordinary Time. Today is also the birthday of Richard’s brother Butch in Baton Rouge. As the oldest son in the family, he was named after his father, and in Baton Rouge his friends know him as Jim (as he was named James); but he will ever be Butch to everyone in the family (1941). Finally, today is the birthday of one of the Assembled, Logan (1984).

Last evening our #11 ranked LSU Baseball team in the first game of the three-game away College Baseball series with Tennessee won by the score of 2 to 1.

I did not sleep well last night after returning to bed after doing my Daily Update; when I woke up my right eye was bothering me, so I did not put in my contacts, and wore my glasses all day instead. I did my Book Devotional Reading, and on our way to work I did my Internet Devotional Reading and said the Ninth and Last Day of my Pentecost Novena. In ADR, after I had gotten my Diet Pepsi with ice from the machine, I was told that there was mildew in the ice. After the Pre-Shift Meeting (we had six or seven people who called in), Richard was on Macau Mini Baccarat; after he shut that table, he was the Relief Dealer for Mississippi Stud, the second Mississippi Stud, and Three Card Poker. And on one of my first breaks I decided to give up reading The Narrow Road to the Deep North by Richard Flanagan; yesterday, with plenty of time for reading, I only got as far as page 47 in a book of more than 300 pages. So I will send my regrets to my Third Tuesday Book Club, and remember to start reading books earlier than the Friday before Book Club.

Once home from work I set up my medications for next week (I have one prescription to renew). I then read the morning paper, then put a cat decal on one of my car windows, then got my SiriusXM number from the SiriusXM in the car, then headed to the Adoration Chapel to do my Weekly Hour of Eucharistic Adoration. I found, on arriving at the Chapel, that my 20-oz bottle of Diet Coke was now about a 10-oz bottle, and that Diet Coke had leaked in my book bag and gotten portions of my magazines wet. (It’s been that kind of a day, all around.) So I browsed in a rather elderly book (1978) about holy relics of various kinds, which was more devotional than factual (for example, the Holy House of Loreto (Italy) is the house that was that of Jesus and his parents in Nazareth; when the Muslims took over the holy land, the house flew through the air and landed in Italy).

When I got home from Adoration, I got on the computer, and I am now doing today’s Daily Update; when I am finished I will get ready to go to bed for the rest of the day. Our #11 ranked LSU Baseball team is now playing the second game of the three-game away College Baseball series with Tennessee, and I will record the score of the game in tomorrow’s Daily Update.

Tomorrow is the great feast of Pentecost (Alleluia!), which ends the Easter Season, the Optional Memorial of Saint Isidore, Farmer (died 1130), and the Remembrance of Servant of God Edward Joseph Flanagan, Priest (died 1948). Tomorrow would have been the date when one’s 2015 Louisiana Income Taxes are due, but that has been moved to Monday, and tomorrow is the birthday of my Internet friend Gail in Georgia (1948). Tomorrow is the last day of the current two-week pay period. Our #11 ranked LSU Baseball team will be playing the third game of the three-game away College Baseball series with Tennessee tomorrow afternoon. And I will make my lunch salads for Monday and Tuesday.

Our Saturday Afternoon Quote comes to us from B.B. King, American blues singer, electric guitarist, songwriter, and record producer. Born as Riley B. King in 1925 on a cotton plantation called Berclair, near the town of Itta Bena, Mississippi. His parents were sharecroppers, and when his mother left his father for another man when the boy was four years old, he was raised by his maternal grandmother in Kilmichael, Mississippi. He always considered the nearby city of Indianola, Mississippi to be his home. He sang in the gospel choir at Elkhorn Baptist Church in Kilmichael. King was attracted to the Pentecostal Church of God in Christ because of its music. The local minister led worship with a Sears Roebuck Silvertone guitar. The minister taught King his first three chords.It seems that at the age of 12 he purchased his first guitar for $15.00, although another source indicates he was given his first guitar by his mother’s first cousin. In November 1941 “King Biscuit Time” first aired, broadcasting on KFFA in Helena, Arkansas. It was a radio show featuring the Mississippi Delta blues, and King listened to it while on break at a plantation. A self-taught guitarist, he then wanted to become a radio musician. In 1943 King left Kilmichael to work as a tractor driver and play guitar with the Famous St. John’s Quartet of Inverness, Mississippi, performing at area churches and on WGRM in Greenwood, Mississippi. He followed his mother’s first cousin to Memphis, and after an abortive first visit left Mississippi for West Memphis, Arkansas in 1948. He performed on Sonny Boy Williamson’s radio program on KWEM in West Memphis, where he began to develop an audience. King’s appearances led to steady engagements at the Sixteenth Avenue Grill in West Memphis and later to a ten-minute spot on the Memphis radio station WDIA. The radio spot became so popular that it was expanded and became the Sepia Swing Club. Initially he worked at WDIA as a singer and disc jockey, gaining the nickname “Beale Street Blues Boy”, which was later shortened to “Blues Boy” and finally to “B.B”. He bought an electric guitar, and in 1949 began recording songs under contract with Los Angeles-based RPM Records. Many of King’s early recordings were produced by Sam Phillips, who later founded Sun Records. King assembled his own band, the B.B. King Review, under the leadership of Millard Lee. The band initially consisted of Calvin Owens and Kenneth Sands (trumpet), Lawrence Burdin (alto saxophone), George Coleman (tenor saxophone), Floyd Newman (baritone saxophone), Millard Lee (piano), George Joyner (bass) and Earl Forest and Ted Curry (drums). Onzie Horne was a trained musician elicited as an arranger to assist King with his compositions. By his own admission, King could not play chords well and always relied on improvisation. King’s recording contract was followed by tours across the United States, with performances in major theaters in cities such as Washington, D.C., Chicago, Los Angeles, Detroit, and St. Louis, as well as numerous gigs in small clubs and juke joints of the southern United States. During one show in Twist, Arkansas, a brawl broke out between two men and caused a fire. He evacuated along with the rest of the crowd but went back to retrieve his guitar. He said he later found out that the two men were fighting over a woman named Lucille. He named the guitar Lucille (a name he gave to all of his Gibson ES-355 guitars), as a reminder not to fight over women or run into any more burning buildings. Following his first Billboard Rhythm and Blues chart number one, “3 O’Clock Blues” (February 1952), B.B. King became one of the most important names in R&B music in the 1950s, amassing an impressive list of hits including “You Know I Love You”, “Woke Up This Morning”, “Please Love Me”, “When My Heart Beats like a Hammer”, “Whole Lotta Love”, “You Upset Me Baby”, “Every Day I Have the Blues”, “Sneakin’ Around”, “Ten Long Years”, “Bad Luck”, “Sweet Little Angel”, “On My Word of Honor”, and “Please Accept My Love”. This led to a significant increase in his weekly earnings, from about $85 to $2,500, with appearances at major venues such as the Howard Theater in Washington and the Apollo in New York, as well as touring the entire “Chitlin’ circuit”. 1956 became a record-breaking year, with 342 concerts booked and three recording sessions. That same year he founded his own record label, Blues Boys Kingdom, with headquarters at Beale Street in Memphis. There, among other projects, he produced artists such as Millard Lee and Levi Seabury. In 1962 King signed to ABC-Paramount Records, which was later absorbed into MCA Records, and which itself was later absorbed into Geffen Records. In November 1964 King recorded the Live at the Regal album at the Regal Theater. King was an FAA certified private pilot and learned to fly in 1963 at what was then Chicago Hammond Airport in Lansing, Illinois From the late 1960s new manager Sid Seidenberg pushed King into a different type of venue as blues-rock performers like Clapton and Paul Butterfield were popularizing an appreciation of blues music among white audiences. King gained further visibility among rock audiences as an opening act on the Rolling Stones’ 1969 American Tour. He won a 1970 Grammy Award for the song “The Thrill Is Gone”; his version became a hit on both the pop and R&B charts. It also gained the number 183 spot in Rolling Stone magazine’s 500 Greatest Songs of All Time. In September 1970 King recorded Live in Cook County Jail, during a time in which issues of race and class in the prison system were prominent in politics. King also co-founded the Foundation for the Advancement of Inmate Rehabilitation and Recreation, tying in his support for prisoners and interest in prison reform. King was best known for playing variants of the Gibson ES-355 guitar. In 1980 Gibson Guitar Corporation launched the B.B. King Gibson ES-355 Lucille model. King was inducted into the Blues Hall of Fame in 1980, and maintained a highly visible and active career, appearing on numerous television shows and performing 300 nights a year through the 1980s. In 1987 he was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. The next year King reached a new generation of fans with the single “When Love Comes to Town”, a collaborative effort between King and the Irish band U2 on their Rattle and Hum album. In 1991 Beale Street developer John Elkington recruited B.B. King to Memphis to open the original B.B. King’s Blues Club, and in 1994, a second club was launched at Universal Citywalk in Los Angeles. In 1995 his insurance company and manager asked him to fly only with another certified pilot. As a result, he stopped flying around the age of 70. With David Ritz he wrote his autobiography, B.B. King: Blues All Around Me, in 1996. In December 1997 he performed in the Vatican’s fifth annual Christmas concert and presented his trademark guitar Lucille to Pope John Paul II. In 1998 he appeared in The Blues Brothers 2000, playing the part of the lead singer of the Louisiana Gator Boys, along with Eric Clapton, Dr. John, Koko Taylor and Bo Diddley. In 2000 he and Clapton teamed up again to record Riding With the King, which won a Grammy Award for Best Traditional Blues Album. In 2004 he was awarded the international Polar Music Prize, given to artists “in recognition of exceptional achievements in the creation and advancement of music.” In 2005 Gibson made a special run of 80 Gibson Lucilles, referred to as the “80th Birthday Lucille”, the first prototype of which was given as a birthday gift to King, and which King used thereafter. In 2006 King went on a “farewell” world tour, although he remained active afterward during the last years of his life. It started in the United Kingdom, and continued with performances in the Montreux Jazz Festival and in Zürich at the Blues at Sunset. During his show in Montreux at the Stravinski Hall he jammed with Joe Sample, Randy Crawford, David Sanborn, Gladys Knight, Leela James, Andre Beeka, Earl Thomas, Stanley Clarke, John McLaughlin, Barbara Hendricks and George Duke. In June 2006 King was present at a memorial of his first radio broadcast at the Three Deuces Building in Greenwood, Mississippi, where an official marker of the Mississippi Blues Trail was erected. The same month, a groundbreaking was held for a new museum, dedicated to King, in Indianola, Mississippi; the B.B. King Museum and Delta Interpretive Center opened on September 13th, 2008. Meanwhile, in late October 2006, King recorded a concert album and video entitled B.B. King: Live at his B.B. King Blues Clubs in Nashville and Memphis. The four-night production featured his regular B.B. King Blues Band and captured his show as he performed it nightly around the world. Released in 2008, it was his first live performance recording in over a decade. In 2007 King played at Eric Clapton’s second Crossroads Guitar Festival and contributed the song “Goin’ Home” to Goin’ Home: A Tribute to Fats Domino (with Ivan Neville’s DumpstaPhunk) and the song “One Shoe Blues” to Sandra Boynton’s children’s album Blue Moo, accompanied by a pair of sock puppets in a music video for the song. In the summer of 2008, King played at the Bonnaroo Music and Arts Festival in Manchester, Tennessee, where he was given a key to the city. Also in 2008, he was inducted into the Hollywood Bowl Hall of Fame. King performed at the Mawazine festival in Rabat, Morocco, on May 27th, 2010. The next year King performed at the Crossroads Guitar Festival with Robert Cray, Jimmie Vaughan, and Eric Clapton. He also contributed to Cyndi Lauper’s album Memphis Blues, which was released on June 22nd, 2010. In 2011 King played at the Glastonbury Music Festival, and in the Royal Albert Hall in London, where he recorded a concert video. Rolling Stone ranked King at No. 6 on its 2011 list of the 100 greatest guitarists of all time. On February 21st, 2012, King was among the performers of “In Performance at the White House: Red, White and Blues”, during which President Barack Obama sang part of “Sweet Home Chicago”. King recorded for the debut album of rapper and producer Big K.R.I.T., who also hailed from Mississippi. On July 5th, 2012, King performed a concert at the Byblos International Festival in Lebanon, and on April 28th, 2013, King appeared at the New Orleans Jazz Festival. On October 3rd, 2014, not feeling well enough, King had to stop his live performance at the House of Blues in Chicago, Illinois. A doctor diagnosed King with dehydration and exhaustion, and the eight remaining shows of his ongoing tour had to be cancelled. King didn’t schedule any additional shows for the remainder of the year. He was married twice, and allegedly fathered fifteen children with different women. On May 27, 2015, King’s body was flown to Memphis. The funeral procession led down Beale Street, with a brass band marching in front of the hearse, playing “When the Saints Go Marching In”, as mourners called out “BB”. Rodd Bland, son of the late blues singer Bobby “Blue” Bland, carried the latest iteration of King’s famous guitar “Lucille.” Thousands lined the streets to pay their last respects. His body was then driven down Route 61 to his hometown of Indianola, Mississippi. On May 29, 2015, King’s body was laid out, in a purple satin shirt and a floral tuxedo jacket, flanked by two black Gibson guitars, at the B.B. King Museum and Delta Interpretive Center, in Indianola. Fans lined up to view his open casket. On May 30th, 2015, King’s funeral was held at the Bell Grove Missionary Baptist Church in Indianola, Mississippi. He was buried at the B.B. King Museum (died 2015): “When I sing, I play in my mind; the minute I stop singing orally, I start to sing by playing Lucille.”

Categories: Daily Updates | Leave a comment

Post navigation

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Powered by WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: