Daily Update: Wednesday, September 14th, 2016

Exaltation of the Cross

Today is the Feast of the Exaltation of the Cross

In Latin today’s feast is called Exaltatio Sanctae Crucis (literally, “Raising Aloft of the Holy Cross”.) The True Cross is said to have been discovered in 326 by the mother of the Roman Emperor Constantine I, Saint Helena of Constantinople, during a pilgrimage she made to Jerusalem. The Church of the Holy Sepulchre was then built at the site of the discovery, by order of Helena and Constantine. The church was dedicated nine years later, with a portion of the cross placed inside it. In 614 that portion of the cross was carried away from the church by the Persians, and remained missing until it was recaptured by the Byzantine Emperor Heraclius in 628. Initially taken to Constantinople, the cross was returned to the church in Jerusalem the following year. The date of the feast marks the dedication of the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in 335. This was a two-day festival: although the actual consecration of the church was on September 13th, the cross itself was brought outside the church on September 14th so that the clergy and faithful could pray before the True Cross and so that all could come forward to venerate it. In Roman Catholic liturgical observance, red vestments are worn at church services conducted on this day, and if the day falls on a Sunday, its Mass is used instead of that for the normally occurring Sunday in Ordinary Time.

I woke up at 9:00 am with a bad cold. I started the Weekly Computer Maintenance, did my Book Devotional Reading, read the morning paper, finished the Weekly Computer Maintenance, started the Weekly Virus Scan, and did my Internet Devotional Reading. I then did a photo CD of my August 2016 photos for Liz Ellen and did a photo CD of my August 2016 photos for Liz Ellen.

Leaving the house at 12:00 pm, I drove up to Mamou, where I had my 12:30 pm appointment with my dentist. (All is well, and my next appointment will be on March 15th, 2017.) I then came back to town and ate lunch at D.C.’s Sports Bar and Steakhouse, where I continued reading Lies My Teacher Told Me: Everything Your American History Textbook Got Wrong by James W. Loewen. I then went to Fantastic Sam’s and got my haircut, then went to Wal-Mart, where I got label paper sheets, Nyquil©, and Dayquil©. I then headed home, feeling tired and hot and worn out. When I got home at 3:00 pm, Richard was taking a nap. I printed out my sheet of address labels with Matthew and Callie’s new address. Richard woke up at 4:30 pm, and we watched Jeopardy! I received a robot call from the Breast Center of Acadiana reminding me of my appointment tomorrow (more anon)And I am going to go ahead and finish this Daily Update, take a dose of Nyquil©, and get ready to go to bed.

Tomorrow is the Memorial of Our Lady of Sorrows and the birthday of my Third Tuesday Book Club fellow member Jay (1960). I will be getting up early, as I have to leave the house at 9:00 am to be on time for my Mammograms at the Breast Center of Acadiana in Lafayette at 10:20 am. I will then go to the Heymann Center Ballroom for the Friends of the Lafayette Public Library Fall Book Sale, with my list of books I am looking for. I will then eat lunch, put in some comfy chair time at Barnes and Noble, and then head home. If I get home in time I will mail Liz Ellen’s more or less monthly box o’ stuff to her at the post office. And I get my salad supplies at Wal-Mart, and make my lunch salads for Saturday and Sunday.

Our Parting Quote for this Tuesday evening comes to us from Fred DeLuca, American businessman. Born as Frederick DeLuca in 1947 in Brooklyn, New York City, New York, at the age of 10, DeLuca moved to Amsterdam, New York, where he and his family became friends with Dr. Peter Buck. Once in his teens, he moved with his family to Bridgeport, Connecticut. After graduating from high school in 1965, he borrowed $1,000 from family friend Buck, after Buck had suggested the idea to help DeLuca make money for college to study medicine. DeLuca’s plan was to begin a “fast-food venture that provided a healthful, less fattening bill of fare”. On the radio advertisement they had promoted the name as Pete’s Submarines, which sounded too much like Pizza Marines, so they changed the name to Pete’s Super Submarines. The first shop opened on August 28th, 1965 at a mediocre location in the city of Bridgeport, Connecticut. The first year of business was a learning experience and a challenge. A year later they opened their second location, having realized that visibility and marketing were also key factors to success. The third outlet proved the importance of location. The name of the shops was shortened from Pete’s Super Submarines to Subway, and the familiar bright yellow logo was introduced. Then, DeLuca and Buck set a goal of having 32 stores opened in 10 years. DeLuca soon learned the basics of running a business, as well as the importance of serving a well-made, high quality product, providing excellent customer service, keeping operating costs low and finding great locations. By 1974 the duo owned and operated sixteen submarine sandwich shops throughout Connecticut, and in an effort to reach their long-term goal they began franchising, launching the Subway® brand into a period of remarkable growth which continues to this day. Along the way DeLuca did find time to get a degree from the University of Bridgeport. In 1978 Subway’s 100th store opened, and the company reached the 1,000 store mark in 1987. Explosive growth continued with Subway opening 1,100 units in 1993 alone. By comparison, McDonald’s opened 800 units that same year. At the graduation commencement in 2002, DeLuca received an honorary Doctor of Humane Letters (L.H.D.) from his alma mater, the University of Bridgeport. In 2007 Forbes magazine named DeLuca number 242 of the 400 richest Americans with a net worth of $1.5 billion. As of June 2013, the company counted 39,500 franchised locations worldwide and produced $9.05 billion sales every year. Today, Subway is one of the most popular chain food vendors. DeLuca and Buck also partnered to create Franchise Brands in an effort to assist other entrepreneurs in replicating their success in the franchise industry. On July 15th, 2013, DeLuca announced that he was being treated for leukemia (died 2015): “If I’m spending time on something, I may as well do good as opposed to average.”

Categories: Daily Updates | Leave a comment

Post navigation

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

A WordPress.com Website.

%d bloggers like this: