Daily Update: Tuesday, April 18th, 2017

Easter Tuesday and Cornelia Connelly and 04-15 - Tax Day

Alleluia! Today is Easter Tuesday, the Third Day in the Octave of Easter. Today is the Remembrance of Venerable Cornelia Connelly, Religious (died 1879). We also note that today is Tax Day, being the day (transferred from Saturday, April 15th, 2017, which was a Sunday) when tax returns for the  previous year (statements about income taxes) are due to the federal government from U.S. citizens, resident aliens, and certain nonresident aliens. Today is the birthday of my Internet friend Jessica in California. And Early Voting continues in Louisiana for the Municipal General Election on April 29th.

Our Gospel reading for today comes from John 20:11-18: Mary Magdalene, weeping in the garden, mistakes the risen Christ for the gardener, but realizes that he is the Lord when he speaks her name. Jesus then tells her “Stop holding on to me, for I have not yet ascended to the Father. But go to my brothers and tell them, ‘I am going to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.'” (Mary Magdalene really deserves more respect than history has accorded her.) Our Venerable today was born as Cornelia Peacock in 1809 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. In December 1831 she married Pierce Connelly, an Episcopal priest, and the two moved to Natchez, Mississippi, where Pierce had accepted the rectorship of the Holy Trinity Episcopal church. Their first two children, Mercer and Adeline, were born in Natchez; then in August 1835 Pierce resigned his pastorate, and Cornelia converted to Roman Catholicism at St. Louis Cathedral in New Orleans. They took ship to Europe, and Pierce was received into the Church in Rome as a lay person. In the spring of 1838, on their return from Europe, the Connellys accepted an invitation to live and work at Grand Coteau, Louisiana. In early 1840, still grieving the death of her baby daughter Mary Magdalene, Cornelia made her first retreat of three days. God touched her deeply, and her interior life was profoundly changed. In February 1840, her two-year old son John Henry was playing with his dog when the dog accidentally pushed him into a vat of boiling sugar. He died of severe burns in Cornelia’s arms after 43 hours. (Both John Henry and his baby sister Mary Magdalene are buried in Grand Coteau; when I am there, I always leave flowers on their grave.) From this anguish Cornelia’s lifelong devotion to the Blessed Virgin Mary as Mother of Sorrows was born. While she was pregnant with her fifth child in October of the same year, Pierce told her he felt called to the Roman Catholic priesthood. Cornelia agreed to move to Rome; before Pierce could become a priest, Cornelia was obliged to take a vow of chastity and she was encouraged to enter a religious order. In April 1844 Cornelia entered the Sacred Heart Convent at the Trinita dei Monti under special conditions, taking her baby son, Frank, with her. In July 1845 Pierce was ordained as a Roman Catholic priest in the Convent chapel. While living at the Trinita, Cornelia began making tentative preparations for a congregation of which she would be the foundress. In 1846, encouraged by Lord Shrewsbury and Bishop Wiseman, she established the first house of the Society of the Holy Child Jesus in England, accompanied by three companions and her two youngest children, Adeline and Frank. There she began to manifest her qualities as a leader in education and spirituality. The beginning of the Society was small and there were many deprivations, but a spirit of joy and peace prevailed; Cornelia was able to inspire in her sisters something of her own serenity in adversity. Soon they were running schools for the poor and needy, and holding day, night, and Sunday classes to accommodate the young factory workers. The order, whose constitution is based on that of the Jesuits, remains devoted to teaching young women, and operates schools primarily in the United States. As her Society grew and her work in education flourished, great personal anguish returned when Pierce renounced his priesthood (not having advanced in the Roman Catholic hierarchy as quickly as he felt his merits deserved) and his Catholic faith and came to England to regain custody of their children. He removed them from the schools they were attending and denied Cornelia all contact with them, hoping thus to force her to return to him as his wife. He even pressed a lawsuit against her that gained notoriety in England, but the courts rejected his claim after a retrial. He spent the rest of his life writing anti-Catholic screeds. The effect on the children was largely negative; her oldest son died alienated from his mother, and her younger children became firmly convinced that Catholicism was to blame for their family’s problems. Today the Sisters of the Holy Child Jesus are active in fourteen countries, striving to live the apostolic life as Cornelia did, seeking to meet the wants of the age through works of spiritual mercy. They are engaged in education and related spiritual and pastoral ministries. In 1992 the Catholic Church proclaimed Cornelia Connelly as Venerable, the second step in becoming a Saint; if you know of any miracles that can be attributed to her intercession, please contact the Vatican. Today is the last day on which federal tax returns for 2016 can be mailed (as postmarked) to avoid penalties, with some exceptions. Federal income tax was introduced with the Revenue Act of 1861 to help fund the Civil War. That Act stipulated that income tax “shall be due and payable on or before the thirtieth day of June”. There is an unsubstantiated claim that the first income tax was paid only by the very wealthy, and that they tended to spend their summers vacationing. The Commissioner of Internal Revenue is said to have argued, “The collection of taxes would be much easier if an earlier assessment was made, before they leave town.” The case of Pollock v. Farmers’ Loan & Trust Co. challenged the constitutionality of the Wilson-Gorman Tariff Act of 1894 which taxed incomes over $4,000 at the rate of two percent. The case was decided by the United States Supreme Court in 1895; they decided that the Act’s unapportioned income taxes on interest, dividends, and rents were effectively direct taxes, and that the Act was therefore unconstitutional because it violated the Constitution’s rule that direct taxes be apportioned. In 1913, eighteen years later, the Sixteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution was ratified. This Amendment gave the United States Congress the legal authority to tax all incomes without regard to the apportionment requirement. The filing deadline for individuals was March 1st in 1913 and was changed to March 15th in 1918 and again to April 15th in 1955. Today the filing deadline for U.S. federal income tax returns for individuals remains April 15th or, in the event that the 15th falls on a Saturday, Sunday or holiday (which it did this year, on Saturday, the first succeeding day that is not a Saturday, Sunday or holiday. Since yesterday was a holiday in Washington, D.C., the due date was moved to Tuesday, April 18th. (And I hope that my Three or Four Loyal Readers used those three days wisely.) Today is the birthday of my Internet friend Jessica in California. And Early Voting continues in Louisiana for the Municipal General Election on April 29th.

Today I woke up half an hour early, posted to Facebook that today was Federal Income Tax Day, and did my Book Devotional Reading. On our way to work I did my Internet Devotional Reading and said the Fifth Day of my Divine Mercy Novena. In due time we signed the Early Out list at work; when we clocked in, Richard was the Relief Dealer for Mini Baccarat, Pai gow, and a Blackjack table, and I was on the Second Mississippi Stud table. I did not think we were going to get out early; there were two call-ins, and I was on an hour and twenty minute relief string, but we did get out at 5:00 am. We headed home, got home at 6:00 am, and I went back to bed.

I woke up (again) at 11:00 am; Richard brought in Spirit, our large long-haired cat that had not been around since we had gotten back from South Carolina; he is very much favoring one of his back legs, and we think he might have gotten tagged by a car. Richard went out to get the yearly inspection done on the truck and to pick up some stuff at Wal-Mart, and I ate my lunch salad and read the morning paper; I then started my laundry. I then cranked up YouTube on our smart TV and watched MST3K Episode 802 The Leech Woman, which we had seen before, but it’s a very fun bad movie. We then watched MST3K Episode 803 The Mole People, which included Alan Napier, who later was Alfred the Butler on the Batman television show, as a Sumerian high priest. I then finished my laundry, did a couple of Advance Daily Update Drafts for my weblog, and finished ironing my casino pants, apron, and shirts. While I was ironing Spirit demanded in, so we had him inside for awhile (he can’t stay in long, as he is not wearing a flea collar). In a flurry of phone calls with his sisters, Richard found that we will not be going to Baton Rouge tomorrow for Butch; Richard will go on his own on Thursday to take Butch to a doctor’s appointment, as Susan will be leaving on Thursday morning to get back home to Iowa. I watched Jeopardy! at 4:30 pm, then left the house at 5:00 pm for Lafayette. I got my dinner via the drive thru at McDonald’s in Rayne, and got to Barnes and Noble at 6:00 pm, where I sat in one of the comfy chairs and started reading  The Hobbit Party: The Vision of Freedom That Tolkien Got, and the West Forgot by Jonathan Witt and Jay W. Richards. I then participated in the Third Tuesday Book Club discussion of Shanghai Girls by Lisa See.

When I got home at 8:30 pm, I found that the Tax Foundation has declared that April 23rd will be National Tax Freedom Day (and that April 10th was Louisiana Tax Freedom Day). Our #11 LSU Lady Tigers won their College Softball game with the Northwestern State Lady Demons by the score of 5 to 2; our Lady Tigers will next face the Tennessee Lady Volunteers for a series that begins on Friday, April 21st. And our #8 LSU Tigers are still playing their College Baseball game with the Lamar Cardinals. And when I finish this Daily Update I will go to bed.

Tomorrow is Easter Wednesday (Alleluia!), the Fourth Day in the Octave of Easter; with no Saints to honor, we will note instead that on tomorrow’s date in 1775 occurred the first Battles of the American Revolutionary War, the Battles of Lexington and Concord. And Early Voting continues in Louisiana for the Municipal General Election on April 29th. The Last Quarter Moon will arrive at 6:00 am. Since I thought we were going to Baton Rouge for Wednesday, I already did my laundry, so all I have to do tomorrow is the Weekly Computer Maintenance. So I will take it easy tomorrow, and do Advance Daily Update Drafts and watching of MST3K Episodes.

Our Parting Quote on this Easter Tuesday (Alleluia!) evening comes to us from Thor Heyerdahl, Norwegian ethnographer and adventurer. Born in 1914 in Larvik, Norway, he studied Zoology and Geography at University of Oslo. At the same time, he privately studied Polynesian culture and history, consulting what was then the world’s largest private collection of books and papers on Polynesia, owned by Bjarne Kropelien, a wealthy wine merchant in Oslo. After seven terms and consultations with experts in Berlin, a project was developed and sponsored by his zoology professors; he was to visit some isolated Pacific island groups and study how the local animals had found their way there. The events surrounding his stay on the Marquesas, most of the time on Fatu Hiva, were told first in his book Paa Jakt efter Paradiset (Hunt for Paradise, 1938), which was published in Norway but, following the outbreak of World War II, was never translated and largely forgotten. Many years later, having achieved notability with other adventures and books on other subjects, Heyerdahl published a new account of this voyage under the title Fatu Hiva (1974). In 1947 he and five other adventurers went to Peru, constructed a pae-pae raft from balsa wood and other native materials, and sailed the raft west; after a 101 day, 4,300 mile journey across the Pacific Ocean, Kon-Tiki smashed into the reef at Raroia in the Tuamotu Islands on August 7th, 1947. Heyerdahl made the voyage to bolster his theory that Polynesia was settled from South America, though anthropologists continue to believe, based on linguistic, physical, and genetic evidence, that Polynesia was settled from west to east, migration having begun from the Asian mainland. Heyerdahl’s book about the expedition, Kon-Tiki (1950), has been translated into over 50 languages, and the documentary film of the expedition, itself entitled Kon-Tiki, won an Academy Award in 1951. In 1955-1956, Heyerdahl organized the Norwegian Archaeological Expedition to Rapa Nui (Easter Island). The expedition published two large volumes of scientific reports (Reports of the Norwegian Archaeological Expedition to Easter Island and the East Pacific) and Heyerdahl later added a third (The Art of Easter Island). His popular book on the subject Aku-Aku: The Secret of Easter Island (1958) was another international best-seller. In 1969 and 1970 Heyerdahl built two boats from papyrus and attempted to cross the Atlantic from Morocco in Africa. Based on drawings and models from ancient Egypt, the first boat, named Ra, was constructed by boat builders from Lake Chad in the Republic of Chad using reed obtained from Lake Tana in Ethiopia and launched into the Atlantic Ocean from the coast of Morocco. After a number of weeks, Ra took on water after its crew made modifications to the vessel that caused it to sag and break apart. The ship was abandoned and the following year, another similar vessel, Ra II, was built by boatmen from Lake Titicaca in Bolivia and likewise set sail across the Atlantic from Morocco, this time with great success. The boat reached Barbados, thus demonstrating that mariners could have dealt with trans-Atlantic voyages by sailing with the Canary Current. A book, The Ra Expeditions (1971), and a film documentary were made about the voyages. Heyerdahl built yet another reed boat, Tigris, which was intended to demonstrate that trade and migration could have linked Mesopotamia with the Indus Valley Civilization in what is now modern-day Pakistan. Tigris was built in Iraq and sailed with its international crew through the Persian Gulf to Pakistan and made its way into the Red Sea. After about five months at sea and still remaining seaworthy, the Tigris was deliberately burnt in Djibouti on April 3rd, 1978 as a protest against the wars raging on every side in the Red Sea and the Horn of Africa. In the years that followed Heyerdahl was often outspoken on issues of international peace and the environment. Heyerdahl made several visits to Azerbaijan between 1980 and 2000 and proposed that Azerbaijan was the site of an ancient advanced civilization. He also investigated the mounds found on the Maldive Islands in the Indian Ocean; he believed that his finds there fit with his theory of a sea-faring civilization which originated in what is now Sri Lanka, colonized the Maldives, and influenced or founded the cultures of ancient South America and Easter Island. His discoveries were detailed in his book The Maldive Mystery (1987). In 1991 he studied the Pyramids of Güímar on Tenerife in the Canary Islands and declared that they were not random stone heaps but actual pyramids. He believed that he had discovered their special astronomical orientation and claimed that the ancient people who built them were most likely sun worshipers due to the alignment of the pyramids. Heyerdahl advanced a theory according to which the Canaries had been bases of ancient shipping between America and the Mediterranean. His last project was presented in the book Jakten på Odin (The Search for Odin, 2002), in which he initiated excavations in Azov, near the Sea of Azov at the northeast of the Black Sea, and searched for the remains of a civilization to match the account of Snorri Sturluson in the Ynglinga saga, written in 1225; Heyerdahl accepted Snorri’s story as literal truth rather than myth. This project generated harsh criticism and accusations of pseudo-science from historians, archaeologists and linguists in Norway, who accused Heyerdahl of selective use of sources and a basic lack of scientific methodology in his work. The controversy surrounding the search for Odin project was in many ways typical of the relationship between Heyerdahl and the academic community. His theories rarely won any scientific acceptance, whereas he himself rejected all scientific criticism and concentrated on publishing his theories in popular books aimed at the general public (died 2002): “For every minute, the future is becoming the past.”

Categories: Daily Updates | Leave a comment

Post navigation

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

A WordPress.com Website.

%d bloggers like this: