Daily Update: Thursday, June 8th, 2017


Today is the Optional Memorial of Saint Médard, Bishop (died c. 545).

Today’s Saint was born about 457 in Salency, Oise, in Picardy; his father was of Frankish origin, while his mother was Gallo-Roman. While still a youth Médard gave one of his father’s finest horses to a peasant who had lost his. Immediately afterward, rain started to downpour, and while everyone else was drenched, an eagle spread its wings over Médard, and he remained dry. In 490 he was chosen as the new Bishop of Vermand due to his exemplary piety and his knowledge, considerable for that time. Despite his objections, he found himself obliged to accept the heavy responsibilities of the position, to which he devoted himself zealously. He is held to have removed the see from Vermand, a little city with no defenses, to Noyon, the strongest place in that region, in 531, and was a councilor to Clotaire, the Merovingian king at Soissons. In the north of France (and later, in Cajun Louisiana), the saying was, ”Should Saint Médard’s day be wet, it will rain for forty yet. But, if it is sunny and dry on Saint Médard’s day, so will the next 40 days be dry.” The old Cajuns (who refer to this day as “samida”) hold that if it rains on this day, it will rain at least once a day for the next 40 days. So I will note if it rained on this day, and see if the saying holds true (Then again, in SouthWestCentral Louisiana, raining at least once a day is our standard summer weather pattern). Saint Médard is the Patron Saint invoked for (or against) the weather, and his aid is invoked against toothaches.

This morning I woke up at 9:00 am, did my Book Devotional Reading, and finished my laundry. Richard and I left the house at 9:45 am and went over to Lisa’s; Matthew, Callie, and my granddaughter were there, as were Michelle and her boyfriend Blake. We visited, and Matthew, Callie, Michelle, and Blake left for New Orleans at 10:30 pm (they will be seeing Muse in concert). I did my Internet Devotional Reading, as my granddaughter was playing her game on an Ipad, and we left at 11:15 am. We ate lunch at D.C.’s Sports Bar and Steakhouse; since today was unseasonably mild and not-humid, we ate out on the patio (which is also the smoking area for the restaurant (not that we smoke). We then went to Wal-Mart; I got 12-hour Sudafed©, and Richard and I got groceries, household items, and my salad supplies.

We arrived home at 12:15 pm, and I read the morning papers. I then watched MST3K Episode 305 Stranded in Space (The Stranger) (An astronaut winds up on a totalitarian version of Earth and tries to return home; this was a pilot for a TV show that was never picked up, and was basically The Fugitive in space). Richard went to bed for the duration, and I ironed my casino pants, apron, and shirts. I then uploaded my May 2015 photos to the computer hard drive, added a couple of more songs to my music on my computer, phone, and flash drive, and did an Advance Daily Update Draft. I then made my lunch salads for tomorrow and Sunday. After I watched Jeopardy! at 4:30 pm, I came to the computer to do today’s Daily Update, and when I finish I will go to bed.

Tomorrow is an Ember Day, the second of three for this season of the year. Tomorrow is the Optional Memorial of Saint Ephrem the Syrian, Deacon and Doctor (died 373), the opening day of the annual two-day Coushatta Pow Wow, and the birthday of Richard’s nephew Steve (the older son of Richard’s sister Susan in Iowa). Richard and I will return to the casino to start our work week, and on my breaks I will start reading When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi for my Third Tuesday Book Club. The Full Moon will arrive at 9:11 am. After lunch the kids ought to be coming over with our granddaughter. (They go to Baton Rouge tomorrow, and Matthew flies back to South Carolina on Sunday; Callie and my granddaughter will be in Louisiana until Tuesday.)

Our Parting Quote on this Thursday afternoon comes to us from Frank Cappuccino, American boxing referee. Born as Frank Capcino in 1929 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, he grew up in the Kensington neighborhood, and he and his brother were accomplished boxers. Fighting as a lightweight (130 lb. class), Cappuccino fought more than 130 amateur bouts in the early 1950s. He participated in the Pennsylvania state championships and was a finalist in both the Diamond Belt and Golden Glove Tournaments. Leaving the amateur ranks in 1955, Cappuccino turned professional under the management of George Katz. Though undefeated in six professional matches, he retired early. Cappuccino received his referee’s license in 1958. Over the past half-century he was the third man in the ring for over 25,000 bouts, including an estimated 10,000 professional matches. He officiated ninety-four world championship bouts in North America, Europe and Asia. Boxing experts tended to praise Frank Cappuccino’s work in the squared circle. He typically allowed a boxer in trouble to try to fight his way out of it, rather than calling an abrupt (and unpopular) technical knockout (TKO). There was never a recorded incident of a serious injury in a match Cappuccino presided over. Memorable fights that he refereed included the Mike Tyson fight with Michael Spinks, for Tyson’s Undisputed WBC, WBA, and IBF Heavyweight Title on June 27th, 1988 in Atlantic City, New Jersey (Tyson knocked Spinks out in 91 seconds, and Cappuccino was featured in Sports Illustrated; he considered the fight to be the greatest moment of his referee career); the Lennox Lewis fight with Shannon Briggs for Lewis’ WBC Heavyweight Title on March 28th, 1998 in Atlantic City, New Jersey; and the Mickey Ward fight with Arturo Gatti on May 19th, 2002 in Uncasville, Connecticut, considered by many boxing purists as “The Fight of the Century”. He portrayed a referee in 1990’s Rocky V. Outside the ring, Cappuccino was a supervisor for the Keebler Company. He also served as a sanitation control inspector for the School District of Philadelphia. He was enshrined in both the Pennsylvania and New Jersey Boxing Hall of Fame (died 2015): “I remember thinking here I am, a guy from Kensington, and I’m in the ring, looking out in the crowd, and I see people like Charlie Sheen and Jack Nicholson and Martin Sheen. It was really something special. And people like Oprah Winfrey and Frank Sinatra missed the [Tyson – Spinks] fight because it only lasted ninety-one seconds.”

Categories: Daily Updates | Leave a comment

Post navigation

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

A WordPress.com Website.

%d bloggers like this: